Ryder Apartment building remediation and demolition has started
The Government of Yukon is committed to creating housing options that are accessible and reflective of the diverse needs of all Yukoners.
As part of this commitment, the Government of Yukon has awarded $515,000 in funding to Castle Rock Enterprises, to support remediation of the Ryder Apartment building in Whitehorse. Castle Rock Enterprises is owned by Dakwakada Capital Investments, the business arm of the Champagne and Aishihik First Nation.
The Ryder Apartment building is a 24-unit property, owned by Yukon Housing Corporation and will be replaced with a new multi-unit building designed to accommodate Rent-Geared-to-Income tenants.
Work at the Ryder Apartment building began on November 1. Remediation and demolition is scheduled to be completed by February 14, 2024. All essential measures to protect public safety throughout the remediation and demolition processes will be a priority for the contractor.
Ahead of this work, the Ryder Apartment tenants were relocated primarily to the 401 Jeckell Street multi-unit building and other Yukon Housing Corporation-owned multi and single-family units.
Built in 1977, the Ryder Apartment building has been home to many Yukoners over the past 46 years. While the demolition of this site marks a significant moment for some, its remediation represents an exciting milestone for all as it opens the door to new and diverse housing options for future tenants.
– Premier and Minister responsible for Yukon Housing Corporation Ranj Pillai
- The Ryder Apartment building is located at 6096 6th Avenue in Whitehorse.
- An internal building assessment determined that renovating or repurposing the Ryder Apartment would not be cost-effective due to the amount of mechanical, electrical and other work required.
- Remediation work, which will help ensure hazardous materials are handled and disposed of safely, is taking place first followed by demolition.
- The construction tender is scheduled to be released in early 2024, with the expected award date set for late spring.
- Once complete, the new building will aim to provide more units on the same lot.
Yukon Housing Corporation Communications