Marine Transportation Services to supply and deliver fuel to military radar sites in Western Arctic
YELLOWKNIFE (January 19, 2021) – The Government of the Northwest Territories’ Marine Transportation Services (MTS) has signed a five-year contract to supply and deliver fuel to the North Warning System radar sites in Canada’s Western Arctic.
The agreement was signed with Crowley Solutions, a leading provider of government energy services at Crowley Maritime Corp., in support of their bid to establish a five-year contract with the U.S. Defense Logistics Agency-Energy, beginning summer 2021 and ending fall 2025.
The North Warning System is owned and operated by the United States and Canadian governments to provide airspace surveillance for national defense purposes.
The contract involves the annual procurement and delivery of fuel to 21 radar sites along the Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut coasts. Reliable re-supply of these radar sites is important for Arctic military efforts by the United States and Canada. The fuel deliveries will be used to operate the radar facilities.
“Northern partnerships help to keep jobs and revenue in the North. The contract announced today will provide significant revenue for MTS while providing northern employment and economic opportunities. At the same time, our government is pleased to support Crowley and NORAD in their efforts to maintain a safe and secure Arctic.” -Diane Archie, Minister of Infrastructure
“We are honored the governments trust Crowley to provide the highest degree of operational excellence, asset capability and understanding of the Arctic and the North Warning System. This service will provide reliability, value and high-quality fuel services that make the best use of assets by Crowley and the governments.”
-Sean Thomas, Vice President, Crowley
- The predecessor of MTS, Northern Transportation Company Ltd., provided this service to the United States Department of Defense and the Canadian Department of National Defence for many decades.
- Crowley has provided logistics service and marine-based solutions, including fuel over-the-shore, to the U.S. government since 1958.
- The Inuvialuit Development Corporation provided a letter of support to MTS for this contract and related marine operations within the Inuvialuit Settlement Region.
- Marine Transportation Services
- Crowley Government Services Inc.
- North Warning System backgrounder
Media Requests, please contact:
Public Affairs and Communications
Department of Infrastructure
Government of the Northwest Territories