Intergovernmental Meeting between Northwest Territory Métis Nation and the Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE (January 26, 2021) – Premier Caroline Cochrane, Minister Diane Archie, Minister R.J. Simpson, Minister Shane Thompson, Minister Caroline Wawzonek, Minister Paulie Chinna and Minister Julie Green met with the Northwest Territory Métis Nation President Garry Bailey, and Métis Community Presidents Lloyd Cardinal, Trevor Beck and Allan Heron virtually on Tuesday, January 12, 2021.
The meeting focused on continuing to share information and perspectives between the two governments, including:
- the importance of working together and including Indigenous perspectives in the transformation of Aurora College to a polytechnic university,
- infrastructure projects in the South Slave,
- sharing information and collaboration in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and particularly with respect to enforcement and vaccine planning to keep NWT residents safe,
- establishing an NWT Council of Leaders Multilateral Forum,
- implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples,
- advancing land claim negotiations,
- maximizing housing opportunities in NWTMN communities,
- the federal Act respecting First Nations, Inuit and Metis children, youth and families,
- opportunities for economic recovery.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Northwest Territory Métis Nation and the Government of the Northwest Territories.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet at least once per year.
- The Memorandum of Understanding between the Northwest Territory Métis Nation and the GNWT was initially signed in November 2012 and was renewed in December 2017 for another four-year term.
For more information, contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9168 ext. 15015
President Garry Bailey
Northwest Territory Métis Nation
867-621-2767 – Cell