NU Government: Fire Prevention Week 2018
09 October 2018
Fire Prevention Week is from October 7 to 13, 2018. This year’s theme is: Look. Listen. Learn. Be Aware. Fire can happen anywhere.
Every fire safety team starts with firefighters – but they can’t do it alone. Effective fire safety depends on teamwork.
The Nunavut Fire Marshal’s Office reminds Nunavummiut of the following home fire safety tips:
- “LOOK” for potential fire hazards and remove them.
- “LISTEN” for the sound of the smoke alarm. You have minutes to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Go to your outside meeting place, which should be a safe distance from home and where everyone should know to gather.
- “LEARN” two ways out of every room and ensure all doors and windows leading outside open easily and are free of clutter.
- Make sure your house or building number can be seen from the street.
- Learn the emergency phone number for your fire department.
- Practice your home fire drill.
Being prepared can save lives. During Fire Prevention Week, talk to your family and community about fire safety.
Aramide (Lola) Owoaje
Manager, Policy and Legislation
Community and Government Services