Government of Yukon tables Cannabis Control and Regulation Act
March 08, 2018
Today, the Government of Yukon tabled Bill No. 15, the Cannabis Control and Regulation Act. The Act governs the distribution, retail, consumption, personal cultivation and possession of non-medical cannabis in Yukon.
The proposed Act will provide for legal, controlled access to cannabis with the goal of displacing illegal activity. It puts a priority on health, safety and harm reduction with a focus on protecting youth from negative health effects.
This cannabis Bill is the result of months of diligent work by our team, department officials across government and extensive public engagement. Yukoners contributed in record numbers to the development of this legislation – which is designed to protect and serve our communities.
Minister of Justice Tracy-Anne McPhee
- The minimum age for the legal possession, consumption and cultivation of cannabis would be 19.
- Possession of up to 30 grams of dried cannabis or its equivalent would be allowed in public.
- Personal cultivation of up to four plants per household would be permitted.
- Consumption would be limited to privately-owned residences and adjoining property, where permitted by the owner, while providing for the potential to allow consumption in other spaces in the future.
- The Yukon Liquor Corporation would be responsible for the distribution of cannabis.
- Private cannabis retailers would be required to obtain a retail license issued by the Cannabis Licensing Board once regulations are developed.