- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Government of Canada is bringing new life to Kugaaruk, Nunavut arena
CIP 150 funding to rehabilitate and improve energy efficiency of the Nattilik Arena
April 11, 2018 – Kugaaruk, NU – Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
Nattilik Arena has long been a focal point for residents in Kugaaruk, Nunavut. It hosts most of the community’s recreational activities as well as the cultural and community gatherings. The arena is also serving as a temporary classroom space after a devastating fire in early 2017 destroyed Kugaaruk’s only school. The arena will now be even better equipped to continue being an invaluable asset for the community thanks to a $500,000 investment through the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program (CIP 150).
The funding was announced today by the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor).
The funding supported a number of upgrades to the arena. The building’s energy efficiency was improved by installing new boilers and a heat exchanger system. As well, new plumbing, lighting, wiring, and a new concrete floor were added. These changes will help ease community demand, improve the experience for residents, and reduce operating costs for the Hamlet.
“The Government of Canada is proud to work with the Hamlet of Kugaaruk on the arena improvements. These renovations helped restore a focal point in the community that is used for recreational, cultural, and community events. And in the wake of a devastating fire, the Nattilik Arena has been critical in helping students continue their education.”
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for CanNor
“These improvements have helped extend the life of the Nattilik Arena and have made it possible for residents to use and enjoy it for many more years. We’re grateful for CanNor’s support in helping us make these upgrades.”
Canute Krejunark, Mayor, Hamlet of Kugaaruk
- CanNor invested $500,000 for upgrades to the Nattilik Arena with the Hamlet of Kugaaruk contributing $166,666. Total funding to improve the arena is $666,666.
- The Government of Canada investments are a part of the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program, a $300-million fund established to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday through investments in community spaces that bring Canadians together. The program, which is now closed, provided $12.8 million in investment across the three territories.
- CIP 150 investment brings new energy to Kugluktuk
- Government of Canada invests in Iqaluit infrastructure upgrades
- Government of Canada Invests in Playground Equipment for Kugaaruk
Karl W. Sasseville
Office of the Minister of Innovation,
Science and Economic Development
Innovation, Science and
Economic Development Canada
CanNor, Nunavut Region
Senior Administrative Office
Hamlet of Kugaaruk
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.