GNWT and Gwich’in Tribal Council hold intergovernmental meeting
YELLOWKNIFE (June 3, 2015) – Members of Cabinet of the 17th Legislative Assembly and the Gwich’in Tribal Council’s Board of Directors met in Yellowknife yesterday evening.
“Strengthening relationships with Aboriginal governments is a priority of the Legislative Assembly and this meeting builds upon the Memorandum of Understanding on Capacity Building that was signed on May 11th between the Gwich’in Tribal Council and the Government of the Northwest Territories,” said Premier Bob McLeod. “We are committed to working together to build a strong, sustainable future for the Gwich’in region and our territory.”
“This meeting is a good opportunity to further maintain and strengthen our relationship with the GNWT while working together towards our common goals,” said President James Wilson of the Gwich’in Tribal Council.
During the meeting the parties agreed to undertake the following work:
- Create a working group to look at core principles and objectives
- Work collaboratively on issues of violence against women and girls, and Aboriginal children in care
- Meet with communities to discuss the composition of the Regional Wellness Council and the criteria of selecting representatives to sit on the Regional Wellness Council
- Ensure distribution of updated Medical Travel Policies and how community members can access emergency medical travel
- Work together to assess the GTC Camp and assess options for future use
- Update information on the Gwich’in business public registry and population information as well as ensure that 2 meetings per year take place
- Share information on education programs and areas where they are under accessed
This was the fifth meeting of the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) and the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) since they signed an intergovernmental agreement on October 13, 2012. The Umbrella Intergovernmental Agreement regarding Intergovernmental Cooperation and Coordination recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the GTC and the GNWT. It commits both governments to meet twice per year.
Government of the Northwest Territories
Gwich’in Tribal Council