- Come and experience life in Canada’s northernmost capital and finish each day knowing you have made a difference!
- Competitive salary of $97,154 plus a settlement allowance of $22,378.25
- Don’t miss this challenging and rewarding role for an experienced planner!
About The City of Iqaluit
Iqaluit – Inuktitut for “many fish” – is located near the mouth of the Sylvia Grinnell River, which empties into Frobisher Bay. With a population of nearly 8000, Iqaluit is Canada’s smallest capital City. The City is currently experiencing a period of rapid development and population growth. As the largest community in Nunavut, Iqaluit is a growing community, unique in its role as a major business, transportation, administrative, health and education centre. Similar to other municipalities in Nunavut, Iqaluit is also a major land owner, responsible for the administration and development of municipal lands, which further creates a unique planning context.
If you love the outdoors, you will fall in love with our city for its year-round activities. Frobisher Bay is a great kite-skiing destination in the winter, as well as a snowmobilers playground. In the spring and summer, fishing, kayaking, boating and even diving are just some of the activities that can be enjoyed.
About the Opportunity
The City of Iqaluit has an exciting opportunity for a Manager of Planning & Lands to join their team in Iqaluit, Nunavut.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Manager of Planning and Development is responsible for land-use planning, policy & regulations, development approvals, land development, and the administration of municipal lands and all land transactions.
The successful candidate will also oversee the efficient management of the department’s capital and operating budget, departmental staff, currently consisting of a City Planner and Lands Administrator.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Managing land use planning and land administration activities carried out by the City
- Attending Council meetings and committee meetings
- Ensuring the preparation, adoption and enforcement of the City’s General Plan, Zoning By-law, and Land Administration By-law
- Ensuring the preparation of development schemes, subdivision plans and survey sketches
- Managing the administration of the General plan & Zoning By-law
- Acting as Development Officer and overseeing the review of Development Applications
- Reviewing appeals of decisions on Development Permits and Variances, and represents the City of Iqaluit at development appeal hearings
- Overseeing transactions relating to the pricing, the disposal, the leasing of municipal land and ensures the city has an adequate land supply available
- Representing the City of Iqaluit and preparing submissions when dealing with other levels of government
- Conducting research, undertaking studies and the preparation of background reports
- Managing the city land development while working with consultants as required
- Developing, and managing the annual capital and operating budget for the department
- Assessing and prioritizing community planning needs and developing goals and objectives for the department, annually
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff in all matters relating to planning & lands
- Managing contract administration for land development projects
- Supervising, coordinating and evaluating (Performance Evaluations) Planning and Lands personnel in a respectful, supportive, respectful work environment
- Assumes tasks of subordinate staff in their absence
To qualify for this role you will have a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or directly related field and must be eligible for membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners. You will also have at least 8 years of experience in planning, with a minimum of 3 years management experience in a municipal environment, drafting policies and regulations, development control, and working with municipal councils.
To be successful in this role you will need to possess excellent interpersonal skills, customer service, and the ability to work well with others and foster and maintain effective working relationships with people in the community, staff members and also with Council.
About the Benefits
The successful incumbent will be rewarded with a competitive annual salary of$97,154 plus a Settlement allowance of $22,378.25. You will also receive a great range of employee benefits, including:
- NEBS – Health and Dental Benefits 50/50 split
- RRSP matching plan of 8% of annual salary
- Employee Discounts for Aquatic Centre and recreation facilities
- Vacation Travel Assistance of $2,000.00 per year
- Fifteen (15) days additional compensatory leave in lieu of overtime.
- 3+ weeks of leave and holiday days to start
At The City of Iqaluit, we value the happiness of our team and host numerous social events over the year including seasonal summer BBQ’s and Christmas parties, charity fundraisers, and Social Committee events.
This is a unique opportunity to join a team of a thriving and growing city, at an exciting time. Furthermore, you will enjoy being part of a working environment that promotes personal and professional growth in an atmosphere of trust, respect, and collaboration.
If you are looking for a role where no two days are the same, and where you can make a real difference in the lives of others, then this is the role for you. Apply today!
For full details and to apply, please visit http://jobs.applyfirst.ca/jobs/100195