- Great opportunity to join the largest Yukon First Nation!
- Use your Finance and leadership skills in a challenging role!
- Receive a competitive annual salary plus a great host of benefits!
About Kwanlin Dün First Nation
Kwanlin: Running water through canyon
For many generations, our people have lived along the Chu Nínkwän (today, the Yukon River). The Citizens of the Kwanlin Dün First Nation (KDFN) acknowledge the Tagish Kwan as the original people who live and occupy the lands within the Traditional Territory, which lies at the headwaters of the Yukon River.
In 2005, after many decades of negotiations, we officially became the tenth self-governing Yukon First Nation. Our system of governance reflects self-determination and moves Kwanlin Dün into the responsibilities of self-government.
Today our traditional territory encompasses Whitehorse and the Yukon’s economic heartland, and about 75 percent of the Yukon’s population lives within KDFN’s Traditional Territory.
About the Opportunity
The director of Finance works with a high level of human interaction and will build relationships and trust in all endeavours. The position participates in high-level strategic planning and policy development for KDFN, and provides guidance and financial expertise on all economic development initiatives.
This position oversees a team of long-term and experienced professionals, within finance, human resources, occupational health & safety and information technology.
About the Ideal Candidate
In order to qualify for this role, you must have a CPA and a minimum of 7 years of progressive experience, plus a minimum of 5 years of senior management experience. You must also have demonstrated success with large budget management ($25 million minimum).
Please note that an equivalent combination of post-secondary education and significant completed coursework toward ones CPA and significant professional experience will equally be considered.
You will also possess:
- Experience providing strategic leadership and financial/budgetary advice at the senior management level
- The ability to plan, direct, and control financial management systems
- Experience managing and monitoring funding agreements
- Experience in interpreting and enforcing acts, regulation, and policy
- Experience overseeing human resources and information technology
- Solid oral and written communication skills including experience in providing financial reporting, writing reports and briefings
- Experience developing policies and procedures
- Knowledge of human resource functions, processes, and labour relations
The following are considered assets:
- Experience overseeing human resources, organizational development and information technology
- Experience in the area of economic development and private industry experience
- Experience working successfully in a First Nation community
- A valid Driver’s License, acceptable driver’s abstract, and reliable transportation
The Kwanlin Dün First Nation is seeking candidates with strong organizational development skills, with proven analytical and problem-solving skills. The ideal candidate is detail oriented, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and is personable, dynamic, positive and innovative.
A willingness to help team members will be the key to your success in this role, as will the ability to develop an understanding of Kwanlin Dün culture, history, agreements, goals, and aspirations.
As a natural communicator and negotiator, the goal will be to establish effective and harmonious working relationships with Council, staff and the community.
Due to the nature of this role, you must be able to complete a pre-employment criminal record check. Please note that some overtime, including attendance at the General Assembly, is required.
About the Benefits
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a competitive annual salary to be negotiated based on skills and experience plus benefits.
If you are looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Kwanlin Dün First Nation. Apply online today!
For full details and to apply, please visit http://jobs.applyfirst.ca/jobs/100958.